Cardamom, as mentioned before, is one of the most expensive herbs after saffron and vanilla. It is also considered as the queen of spices. Cardamom has a pleasant smell and a unique appearance but it doesn’t end here apart from looks and good aroma it also gives much medicinal support. There are majorly two types of cardamom green cardamom and black cardamom (Badi Elichi). Both forms of cardamom are used as flavorings and cooking spices in both food and drink, and as a medicine. Both cardamoms are used differently.
Mostly green Elichi is used in tea and sweet dishes and Badi Elichi (black cardamom) is used in biryani, red meat white meat and in different foods as a spice.
Health benefits of Cardamom
Medicines, minerals, recipes
Cardamom is known as a powerhouse of antioxidants and essential minerals and vitamins like Flavonoids, pyridoxine, Thiamine, Riboflavin, Vitamin C, A, calcium, potassium, phosphorous, manganese, magnesium, carbohydrates, iron, protein, niacin. Therefore, it is used to cure many diseases like, See Also: 10 benefits of cardamom
- Nausea and vomiting that can occur after surgery.
- Intestinal spasms.
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
- Sore mouth and throat.
- Liver problems.
- Gallbladder problems.
- Urinary problems.
- Loss of appetite.
- Preventing infections.
Ayurvedic uses of Elichi
Ayurveda is the ancient science that has been in practice for ages. Ayurveda believes that nature can cure any disease, therefore in ancient times people used all the natural ways to make medicine Elichi is one of them. Due to its aroma and taste is mostly used in the phase of improving flavors and fragrance of the food and medicines. Since Elichi is an untouched spice there is not much information available but it has been proven that mixing Elichi with food or beverages, it makes your digestion smooth and detoxifies all the harmful toxins from the body, which helps our body to digest faster and improves our metabolism with increased metabolism functionality of kidney and liver improves.
See this is how our body works if you will eat healthy your liver, kidney, stomach, intestine, all will function properly, if all these parts are functioning properly you will not face any problems like acidity, low B.P, gastric trouble, and hence you will be protected from many other problems also.
According to Ayurveda, there are 3 elements in our body
Which accordingly is the main system of the body, healthy eating can help you get control over all 3 above-mentioned elements of the body. Therefore, including cardamom in your diet will help you get control over all there. Healthy Ayurveda has more information on Ayurveda.
Grow cardamom at homes:
Since cardamom is one of the most expensive herbs followed by saffron and vanilla. Therein this article, we will be sharing ways to grow cardamom in your home because if you live with your well-wishers there are fewer chances of being hurt and cardamom is your well-wisher if your grow cardamom you can get its benefit all the time.
- Wash and sow immediately or they can be mixed with ash and dried for a week before sowing.
- Sow in deep rich soil prepared with well-rotted organic matter, on raised beds.
- The plant prefers loamy soils rich in organic matter, which are usually acidic in nature with a pH range of 5.0 to 6.5.
- It thrives best under moderate shade.
- The seeds are germinated 5-7 weeks.
- (optional) Now plants are ready to transplant when they reach a height of 25-30 cm and develop a couple of leaves.
[ transplantation of germinated seeds help plants to increase their growth it is a totally optional step to perform, this is mostly done in the area where there is low rainfall, as these plants require heavy rainfall to germinate therefore they are grown under waterbeds so that the plants germinate, after the cardamom plants are grown, less water is needed to them, if you want you can skip this step]
- Plant them 6-18 inches apart in small pits not too deep.
- Water to keep the beds moist, too much watering is not good.
- Spray occasionally with Bordeaux mixture to prevent fungal attack.
- Cardamoms grow in high quantity under warm humid atmosphere and evenly distributed rainfall.
- Planting is usually done in June- July. The plants prefer shade.
- Cardamoms start bearing capsules 5 years after.
- A flower blooms in April-May and continues till July-August.
- Capsules are harvested in October-November in most of the areas.
- Harvested fruits are dried by exposing them to sunlight or by heating or by flue curing.
- Capsules which lack uniform green color are bleached by using bleaching powder, Sulphur dioxide or hydrogen peroxide.
- After the first crop, higher and sustained yields are obtained in subsequent years up to the tenth or fifteenth year, depending on the type cultivated, after which the plants become exhausted.
Also Read: How to Germinate cardamon
Must read: Banana Health benefits. Health benefits of papaya. Pineapple Health benefits and nutrients. Health benefits and nutrients of Fennel. Health benefits of Kiwi fruits. Custard apple Health benefits and nutrients.