Health Benefits of Lettuce (Lactuca sativa)
Lettuce is a green leafy vegetable. Its botanical name is this. It is from a daisy family called Asteraceae which is native to Siberia. It is widely used in many cuisines but most famously it is used in salads with extra virgin olive oil. Know Health Benefits of Lettuce, Nutrients and Side effects and more about these leafy vegetables.
Lettuce has gained a lot of importance in the fields of medicine and health care. In 2017 china produced the largest amount of lettuce of 27 million tons. Plants generally have a height and spread of 15 to 30 cm (6 to 12 in).
Types of lettuce
- Leaf lettuce
- Romaine lettuce
- Iceberg lettuce
- Boston lettuce
- Bibb lettuce
Nutritional value in lettuce
- High in vitamin K followed by folate (B9) and water.
Lactuca sativa also contains a good amount of iron, manganese, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium and calcium
- It also contains small amounts of vitamin C, vitamin K, Riboflavin, Thiamine and pantothenic acid.
- Other than this it also contains a good amount of carbohydrates and little proteins.
Health benefits of lettuce
- Lipoxygenase is a protein present in lettuce which is useful in the control of inflammation. It has been proved by a study that in the ancient era people used lettuce us a pain reliever.
- Osteodynia is a situation where the pain in bones occurs without any reason, it is effective for this syndrome. It has been observed that darker the color of the lettuce more quantity of anti-oxidants is present in it.
Aids weight loss
- Reducing calorie intake is the main reason for weight loss. If we look at
Lactuca sativa calorie chart, 100 gm lettuce contains 5 calories. Because of the multi nutrients present, it covers all the nutrients that get lost due to low-calorie food.
- It is low in energy density. It contains 95% of the water per 100 gm. Fiber is very helpful in keeping the stomach active. It contains a good amount of fiber due to which it is ideal for weight loss. It also helps in weight loss and is a star ingredient for weight loss diet.
- We would recommend you to consider darker color lettuce since it is high in nutritional value.
Promotes brain health
- A study has proved that some special agents present in it prevent our brain from brain damage because of damaged neuronal cells. This damage in neuronal cells also can lead to brain diseases like Alzheimer’s. It reduces the effect of brain damage.
- As per another study, it is also rich in dietary nitrate. This compound is converted to nitric oxide in the body. Nitric oxide is a cellular signaling molecule that promotes endothelial function.
- Lack of endothelial functions leads to week cognitive disorders in children and abnormal neurological activities in adults. Consuming lettuce can prevent us from all the above-mentioned problems.
Also Read: How to grow Lettuce.
Boosts heart health
Lactuca sativa is a good source of folate, which is a B vitamin.
- It is also a rich source of vitamins A and C, both of which help oxidize cholesterol and strengthen the arteries. These two nutrients also improve blood flow and prevent heart attacks.
- It is suggested to add any green leafy vegetables to the diet. Since it comes in large quantity there. Including two servings of lettuce, especially romaine lettuce in your diet daily can keep your heart healthy.
- Lettuce also contains potassium that lowers blood pressure and prevents heart disease. Its consumption can also increase HDL (the good cholesterol) and reduce the levels of its bad brother, LDL.
- All of this means that regular consumption of it can protect one from cardiovascular disease.
- Its consumption has proved to lower the risks of cancer only if it is in the 1st and 2nd stages.
- One report by the World Cancer Research says that non-starchy veggies like lettuce can protect against several types of cancers – like those of the mouth, throat, esophagus, and stomach.
- A similar study was conducted in America on people with high risks of lung cancer with 1 and 2 stages. That research proved that
Lactuca sativa has enormous potential to reduce this life-threatening disease.
The fiber in lettuce promotes digestion and wards off other digestive ailments like constipation and bloating. It also can relieve stomach pain. Lettuce is known to help the stomach process different types of food. It also improves intestinal health.
- Lettuce has a lot to do with a substance called lecture cerium. It is highly present in it that sedates the nervous system and promotes sleep. You can add lettuce to your meals before you go to bed. If at all you suffer from insomnia.
- Another substance in lettuce that induces sleep is lactucin which relaxes our nervous system. Substances present in lettuce is used to treat insomnia.
Muscle strength and metabolism
- The potassium in lettuce enhances muscle strength as well. Low potassium levels have been linked to muscle weakness. Some studies found that eating green vegetables, especially lettuce, can boost muscle strength.
- It is also used to improve metabolism and as a source of energy. However, there is not enough information on this.
Lactuca sativa contains zeaxanthin. It is a super antioxidant that enhances our vision to its extreme. It is found to prevent macular degeneration.
- According to research done on green leafy vegetables, dark greens contain both lutein and zeaxanthin. Both lutein and zeaxanthin help to improve our vision and all eye-related problems.
- Another study had shown that women on a high-lutein diet were less likely to develop cataracts as they age.
- All the green veggies especially green leafy vegetables are excellent for our eyesight.
- Several studies have verified the importance of lutein and zeaxanthin in boosting eye health and other eye diseases.
Side effects of Lettuce
- Excess of vitamin K can cause problems in people on blood thinning.
- It should not be used during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Research suggests that it can cause complications.
- It also can lead to an enlarged prostate and narrow-angle glaucoma. So, avoid consuming it.
Here at garden infograph we try to bring in front of you many relatable topics that are can add up to a healthy diet in your homes to keep your family and friends healthy. Some topics that we have covered are the Health Benefits of Cucumber. 10 amazing Health Benefits of Lime and lemon. 4 Health Benefits of Basil. Health Benefits and nutrients facts of Potato. Custard Apple health benefits and facts. 9 surprising Health benefits of Eggplants. Amazing Health Benefits of Parsley. Corn Health Benefits.