Health benefits of saffron | Dosage and Side effects | Kesar. Saffron is produced from a flower known as “Crocus sativus” which is also known as “saffron crocus”. The central part of the flower which is the stigma and the styles also known as threads is called saffron. It is one of the most famous and expensive spices.
However, there is still not enough evidence on the origin of this spice. Some people say Iran is the origin of this. However, there are chances of Greece and Mesopotamia being the origin. According to Harold McGee, who is an American author, who writes about the history and science of food and cooking; this exotic herb was first discovered in the Bronze age.
This beautiful golden yellow color of saffron is because of carotene pigment called crocin. This is the same pigment that is responsible for making pumpkin, carrots flamingoes, tomatoes, lobster, shrimp, etc similar in color to saffron.
Nutritional values in Saffron
Saffron has multiple uses it. Some people use it as a food coloring. Some use it to could their textiles in its luminous color. At last, because of its color and climate requirements, it contains a large number of anti-oxidants and carotenoid pigments. This quality makes it excellent in the field of medicine also.
Now let us have a look at those amazing medicinal and nutritional properties of season.
- Vitamin A, C, B-6
- Dietary fiber
Health benefits of saffron (Kesar)
Kesar contains many health benefits. Let us have a look at some of the health benefits.
Effective against cancer
- Saffron has a beautiful golden yellow color. This color is there because of a carotene now as crocin. This plant compound is responsible for filling colors in many other plants, fishes, and birds, like salmon, flamingoes, pumpkins carrots, and many more.
- This crocin compound is also an active constituent in many medicines that we use and antidepressant and anti-inflammatory purposes.
- Kesar contains many carotenoids, like zeaxanthin, lycopene, α– and ß–carotenes. These are some important antioxidants that help to protect the human body from stress, cancer, vita and bacterial infections, and weak immunity.
- It contains a plant compound known as crocin. This compound is popularly known to reduce depression and its symptoms.
- Neurotransmitters are the chemical compounds that are present in our brains. These neurotransmitters affect our moods and emotions. Antidepressants work by balancing these neurotransmitters in our brain, making our mood light and sets our emotions.
- According to research done in Germany saffron can help treat mild to moderate depression in humans. It also shows less reaction as compared to other antidepressant pills.
- Saffron (Kesar) intake might increase the sex drive and sexual functionalities in both males and females. Research in California proves that taking antidepressant pills might affect sexual functions and the desire to make out.
- Sexual discomfort is one of the side effects of consuming anti-depressant pills. It has different effects on both males and females. Males might suffer the loss of erectile movement and in females,
- Its intake has proven results for also increasing sexual desires. It also stimulates the malfunctioning of sex hormones. If you eat antidepressants and you are suffering from the above mention problems, then you might try consuming saffron to regain your balance in life.
Controls blood pressure
- Kesar has a decent amount of potassium in it. Potassium present in saffron is very effective against controlling high blood pressure problems.
- A study shows that potassium-rich food reduces the HBD and hypertension. It balances a large amount of sodium in our bodies. Sodium is the reason for both high blood pressure and hypertension. Potassium removes the excess amount of sodium in our body through urine.
- Another reason for high blood pressure in the tension in our blood vessels. It may be due to 2 reasons. Taking stress in our daily life and intake of too much sodium. Potassium also lowers the blood pressure by targeting our stressed blood vessels.
- Potassium intake might be dangerous for people suffering from kidney problems or weak kidney. If you wish to intake saffron for lowering blood pressure, you may need to consult your doctor.
- Saffron is high in anti-oxidants. These antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties present in saffron are very beneficial for acne-prone skin.
- Skin is the largest organ of the human body. It is also in direct contact with the sun and dust particles. Since ancient times, skincare has been a major part of women grooming. Nowadays not only women but men also pay a lot of attention to their skin.
- It is the ancient and most expensive herb in today’s life. It possesses many health benefits but it takes time to heal one’s body. In ancient times many traditional medicines were made from saffron.
- Anti-oxidants in saffron has shown effective results in skin care and acne. Anti-oxidants protect our skin from free radicals and oxidative stress. Anti-inflammatory compounds in saffron give relief against the skin and acne inflammations.
Dosage and side effects of saffron
Kesar has very little to no side effects on the human body as per the researches done till now. As we all know that saffron is a very expensive herb. As per the dieticians, 1.5 gm of saffron intake is considered safe.
- It can cause a problem for those who take blood pressure medicines. It might make the blood thinner. A doctor’s prescription is very important before taking any herb.
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women should try to avoid saffron or if consuming, quantity should be very limited.
- This is might show allergic reactions to a few people. You might face problems like irritation in skin, anxiety, itching, and similar problems. If you suffer any of these then immediately stop the intake of it.
- Consult your doctor before incorporating saffron in your diet. If you already take any medicines, then saffron might act differently with each medicine. It might create toxins inside your body. Read more.
Natural herbs are excellent medicines with least to no side effects but do not consume any just by yourself. Do consult any doctor or any person who keeps knowledge about natural herbs. Each herb reacts differently in different bodies and with medicines.
12 amazing health benefits of Oliv. Health benefits of cucumbers. Calendula health benefits and side effects. Corn (Maize) health benefits and side effects. Potato nutrients facts and side effects. Neem Health benefits. Lettuce health benefits and side effects. 9 surprising health benefits of eggplants. Green chili health benefits. 7 Health benefits of cauliflower.